Do you have what it takes to be an Academy Guest Author?
Elko Arts Academy is on a mission to help parents raise smart kids through the arts. As such, we accept guest authors to write for us. Your post must have unique content and must contribute to our mission by adding value to our website and its visitors. You may include to links to your website with keywords.
All posts submitted here will be held for moderation and if published, author will be notified via email. Posts may be edited for grammar, content, and length to ensure they adhere to writing standards. Please refer to our current blog posts for reference to writing standards and style and to the submission criteria listed on this page.
We have a limited number of publishing slots available to guest contributors, and we will only accept posts that satisfy the following criteria:
- Posts need to be useful. While step-by-step how-to’s are not necessary, posts need to include a specific takeaway or key thought.
- Posts need to be interesting to read.
- Posts need to be specific to using the arts to raise smarter kids (i.e., provide insights into using the arts to unleash their child’s unique super powers.
- Posts must be between 300-500 words.
These are the specific types of post we look for:
How-to posts: We look for detailed posts that very clearly outline how to do something; templates, checklists and step-by-step approaches work well. View our past blog posts for examples.
“Thought leadership” posts: The arts contribute positively in so many ways to those that choose to pursue its study. Are there conversations you think we need to have to move the arts to the forefront of education? Is there something going on in education or society that you want to call out that is not true or not working? What are the current trends in arts and learning?
Arts and Technology – How can current and emerging technology help us in providing access to the arts?
To increase the likelihood that your post will be accepted, consider these suggestions:
- Include real-life examples, case studies, or quotes to demonstrate the concepts described (when available)
- Use of videos, photos, charts, screenshots and other visual content is strongly encouraged. Please provide a hosted link to access these materials (ie. Dropbox or Google Drive links)
- In addition, we do not accept submissions that fall into the following categories:
- Posts with unclear focal points, or those that are not clearly organized or formatted to grab reader attention. We encourage writers to use subheadings, bulleted lists, and bold fonts to highlight key concepts and action items.
- Articles created as blatant link-bait, with little original insight or practical discussion provided within the post copy.
- Unsupported claims: Discussing why an issue is important without referencing current events or literature.
- Posts that have already been published elsewhere.
- White papers, and other promotional content that is meant to tout the benefits of one specific product/service over others (your own on someone else’s including affiliates)
Why write for the Academy?
Become an expert in your field. Sharing your expertise with an engaged, targeted audience of parents seeking ways to enhance learning is a great way to improve your industry profile. Your article will include an in-bound link directly to your website, aiding in you SEO ranking.
Our editorial process
Each post received will be reviewed using the above acceptance criteria. Please allow us a few days to respond to new submissions. You will be contacted via email or Facebook messages about when and if your article will be published. We appreciate your patience throughout our review and production processes.
If your submission fits our criteria and is a good fit for our Academy audience, we will contact you within 7 business days of receipt to confirm our intent to review your post for publication.
Once a post has been accepted for publication, it is generally scheduled to run within a two-week time span.
Promotion and social media distribution
Elko Arts Academy will provide links to the post via Facebook, and other relevant social media platforms that we currently use. All authors are encouraged to promote their posts through their own networks, as well.
Republishing and repurposing your CMI posts
While we can only consider original, unpublished materials for publication, we are happy to allow our published authors to repurpose their posts elsewhere, with the following stipulations:
- There should be a two-week window between the time your article goes live on the Academy website and the time it is published on another site
- All subsequent publication of your article must cite Elko Arts Academy as the original source and provide a link to the article on the Academy website.
What to send with your article submission
- Your bio: Bio should be approximately 60 words and should include your Twitter handle, as well as any other relevant links you wish to display (e.g., your blog; Facebook Page; website URL, etc.). Due to security reasons we are not allowing uploads of any media files with guest post. You can use free image hosting services like Dropbox and link the here using <img src=”your image link” />.
- Your headshot: We use a site called Gravatar to manage our author’s headshots. New contributors should create an account there and upload a headshot. Once this is done, we’ll need the email address that was used to register the account, so we can associate your headshot with the author profile we will use in your posts.
- A cover image depicting the post theme: We also ask authors to include a high-resolution image that we can run as a “cover” image for each post. Images can be taken from the web or a stock photo service, as long as they are royalty-free (or in the public domain/available as part of Creative Commons), or you hold the copyright. If the image requires creator credit, please provide the necessary sourcing information, so that we can be sure to attribute it properly.